CVSD Elementary Counselors offer the following services for students and their families:
- Counseling with students individually and in small groups to understand and appreciate their unique qualities and to grow academically, personally, and socially.
- Developing and delivering classroom guidance lessons that teach skills such as making healthy decisions, resolving conflicts and respecting others.
- Collaboration with teachers and parents to meet the individualized learning needs of students.
- Working collaboratively with students, parents, teachers to identify and remove barriers that may impede student success.
- Connecting families with community resources.
A note on confidentiality:
Certified school counselors are bound by confidentiality standards in accordance with the American School Counselor Association. When children meet with the school counselor, information children share is kept in confidence unless the child or someone they know is in danger.
School counselors, like all educators, are considered mandated reports. Mandated reporters are required to make a report of suspected abuse when they have a reasonable cause to suspect that a child is a victim of child abuse. The elementary school counselors are also strong proponents of communication with parents and guardians. The counselors encourage children to talk with their parents/guardians about the things they discuss with their counselor. School counselors are always happy to meet with you if you ever have questions or concerns.