The Conestoga Valley School District believes the school bus/van transportation is an extension of the classroom and building rules apply.
- Students may ride only on their assigned bus and get on/off only at their assigned stop.
- Requests to transport students to or from locations other than their home will be considered only if in your attendancearea and if space is available.
- Students who change their residence within the CV district boundaries must document this change at the building with proof of residency. See “change of address.” Changes in bus assignments require five days to implement.
- Emergency exceptions to bus assignments may be made by building principals. Requests for non-emergency reasons (overnight visits with a friend, scout meetings, shopping, etc.) will not be accepted. Telephone requests will be taken for emergencies only.
- All permission slips must be signed by an administrator. Parent notes will not be accepted by drivers.
- Due to mechanical difficulties or other problems, a different bus driver or bus number may pick up your child.
Bus Riding Rules & Regulations
Conestoga Valley School District (CVSD) transports students each day to and from school. CVSD contracts with transportation providers to transport students each day to and from school. The current transportation contracts include: Brightbill Transportation, Faithful Transportation and neighboring school districts. In order for this transportation to be accomplished as safely and effectively as possible, students and parents need to work cooperatively with the school district. Students are expected to behave properly. Any student whose behavior interferes with the safety of other students may be denied transportation services. In such cases, it then becomes the responsibility of the parent/guardian to transport their student to and from school.
Each building principal has an important responsibility with respect to student transportation. Health and safety factors are the principal’s concern since he/she is the first to feel the impact of any deviation. Student behavior on the school bus is the principal’s responsibility since infractions are referred to his/her office. Any student causing a disorder on the school bus must be reported by the driver to the student’s building principal. The principal/administrator will work cooperatively with parents, students, the transportation supervisor, and the bus driver. The principal will decide whether or not punishment is necessary in every case. When it is necessary, only the principal will administer discipline.
To maintain appropriate behavior expectations, please adhere to the following rules and guidelines:
- Students transported shall ride assigned buses at all times, unless there is written notification given to the appropriate school office and approval is given by a school administrator.
- Students should only board/exit their bus at their assigned stop. Students should plan to arrive at their bus stop at least 5 minutes in advance. If the bus is delayed, students are expected to wait 30 minutes, weather permitting.
- Students need to observe school rules for expected behavior while waiting at the bus stop. Those expectations include staying a safe distance off roads and waiting until the bus completely stops before boarding, as well as the use of personal electronic devices under policy 239.1.
- Students waiting at a bus stop shall refrain from playing on or littering on private property. Students shall not damage private property at a bus stop and be respectful of the property owner.
- When boarding or exiting the bus/van students should always cross the street in front of the bus and wait until the driver motions that it is safe to cross the street.
- School bus drivers are responsible for maintaining safe behavior on the bus. In order to maintain safe bus behavior the school district expects students will be respectful and cooperative with their bus driver. Assigned seating may be necessary. Also, know that when space is needed, three students to a seat may be necessary.
- Students may not bring objects onto the bus that cannot safely fit on their lap. Students cannot block the aisles.
- Students are not permitted to spray body spays or use lotions or perfumes while on the bus.
- Students shall refrain from eating and drinking on the bus.
- Students need to refrain from loud talking and from inappropriate language.
- Students must always have driver permission to open windows and may not place any part of their body outside the window. Littering the school bus or throwing articles out the windows will not be tolerated.
- Students must remain seated until the bus comes to a complete stop and then exit when directed by the driver. Students are not permitted to exit the vehicle at an unassigned stop. In an emergency situation students are expected to exit in an orderly fashion under the direction of the bus driver.
- Kindergarten students are permitted to get off the bus with other children and/or older siblings at the end of the day without an adult present. However, if a kindergarten student is the only child at an afternoon stop, a parent or other responsible person must be present and visible. If no one is present the student will be taken back to school.
- For safety reasons, please remember to address parent concerns regarding student behavior through your building office. For bus stop, route questions or driver issues please contact the transportation department at 717-656-2601. Do not discuss issues with the bus driver at the bus stop.
School bus evacuation drills are held periodically so that students know exactly what to do in case of emergency. Students are asked to cooperate fully with the bus driver and the assigned helpers. Absolute silence must be observed. Students must follow the drivers’ specific instructions.
Video Cameras Record Student Behavior on Buses
Conestoga Valley School District student transportation vehicles are equipped with audio and video recording equipment to monitor student behavior whenever the vehicle is in operation. The video may be used as part of the disciplinary process.
Conestoga Valley School District does not transport students home following any extracurricular activity. Parents/Guardians are responsible for transportation.
For information on bus stops and schedules, call 717-656-2601.