Living Arrangements

  • Living Arrangements and Determination of Residence

    Custody Issues

    It is the school’s policy that the child always return home to the parent with custody.

    Determination of Custody: Determination of child custody is a legal process, not an educational one. Once custody is determined by the courts, the parent must provide the schools with a copy of that court order. In the absence of such a document, the school will assume that the parent with whom the child resides has custody.

    Determining Residency: The residency of the child is assigned through custody. A child may not live with a parent in another district and attend CV because the non-custodial parent resides in this district. At the end of the school day, the child always returns home to the parent with custody unless written instructions are received from the custodial parent prior to the change. The child’s attendance is the responsibility of the custodial parent.

    Access to Child by Non-Custodial Parent: Unless specifically prohibited by the courts, non-custodial parents may have access to the child during school hours if such access is in the best interest of the child. School authorities, acting in loco parentis, may deny such access. The key to the decision is what is determined to be in the child’s best interest. Schools may notify the custodial parent prior to contact. Permission of custodial parent is not required.

    Non-custodial parents may not take the child off school premises without consent (may be required in writing) of the custodial parent.

    Legal Rights of Stepparents: Stepparents have no legal right to the child except as described in the section under Student Records. Stepparent signatures are not valid on school documents unless written permission is provided by the parent.

    Non-Custodial Mailing List: Mailing lists of non-custodial parents are kept by each school. It is your responsibility to inform the school of your current address.

    Change of Address

    Any change of address necessitates completion of a change of address form in person.

    Residency: A student’s legal residence is where his/her parents/guardians reside.

    There are only five exceptions to this:

    1. Court Placement: Foster child placement—a non-district child placed by the courts into a home in CV.
    2. Affidavit of Guardianship: The School Code permits a resident to allow a non-resident child to live in their home on a permanent basis. The living arrangement may not be only during the school year for school purposes. Children meeting the requirements of this section are considered to be residents and, therefore, have all the rights & responsibilities as a resident student.
    • Likewise, the resident who sponsored the guardianship is also fully responsible and liable for the child’s education including attendance, discipline, and all school-related matters.
    • A child’s parent may be expected to sign the affidavit to verify the placement of their child.
    • A guardian must be 21 years old. For more information, contact the building principal or the district case worker.
    1. Emancipation: Students who are on their own and living apart from parents and reside in CV may apply for emancipation for school purposes. An emancipated child is freed from all restraints and controls of the parent, financially independent, and totally responsible for all aspects of his/her education.
    • Persons wishing to attend CV as emancipated students shall contact the home school visitor or the administration or counselor for specific details.
    • Emancipation may be denied by the school if the district is not satisfied that the applicant meets all criteria.
    1. Tuition student: The Board may allow a non-resident to attend CV on a tuition basis. Application is through the Office of the Superintendent.
    2. Tuition waiver: The Board may allow a non-resident to begin or end a school year in CV pending the family’s move. Such permission is for a maximum of one marking period. In addition, juniors who are in good standing and whose parents were residents on the last day of their junior year may attend their last year at CV tuition free. Application must be filed through the building principal.

    Living at an Alternate District Residence

    It is generally assumed that both parent and child live in the same home. If a child leaves the home of the parent and moves into another home in the district, the building principal must be informed and an affidavit must be completed by parent and guardian. The guardian will then be fully liable for all acts of the child. All information will also be sent to the guardian rather than parent. 

    Attendance Areas

    Each elementary school has clearly defined geographic attendance areas. The student's residence determines the school they must attend.

    Homeless Children

    Any resident child that becomes a “homeless child” may continue attending their current school when the child’s family becomes homeless. Homeless students are defined as individuals lacking a fixed, regular and nighttime residence which can include the following conditions:

    • Sharing housing with other persons due to loss of housing or economic hardship
    • Living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to lack of alternative adequate accommodation
    • Living in emergency, transitional, or domestic violence shelters
    • Abandoned
    • Living in cars, parks, public spaces, or other places not designed for or ordinarily used as regular sleeping accommodations for human beings
    • Living as migratory children in above conditions
    • Living as runaway child
    • Living as school age unwed mothers in homes for unwed mothers if they have no other accommodations

    a.    Enrollment: To the extent feasible, and in accordance with the student’s best interest, a homeless student shall continue to be enrolled in his/her school of origin while s/he remains homeless or until the end of the academic year in which s/he obtains permanent housing. Parents/guardians of a homeless student may request enrollment in the school in the attendance area where the student is actually living or other schools. If a student is unaccompanied by parent/guardian, the district will consider views of the student in determining where s/he will be enrolled.

    The selected school shall immediately enroll the student and begin instruction, even if the student is unable to produce records normally required for enrollment pursuant to district policies. However, the district may require a parent/guardian to submit contact information to contact the previous school for oral confirmation of immunizations, and request records from the previous district (as per Policy CV 206).

    If the district is unable to determine the student’s grade level due to missing or incomplete records, the district shall administer tests or utilize appropriate means to determine the student’s placement.

    If a dispute arises over school selection or enrollment, the student shall be immediately enrolled in the school in which enrollment is sought, pending resolution of the dispute. Parents/guardians shall be provided with a written explanation of the district’s decision, their right to appeal, and procedures to use for appeal.

    b.    Services: Homeless students shall be provided services comparable to those offered to other district students including, but not limited to, transportation, free and reduced lunch programs, vocational and technical (CTC) programs, preschool programs, programs for students with limited English proficiency, and educational services for which students meet eligibility criteria.

    c.    Transportation: The district shall provide transportation for homeless students to their school of origin or the school they choose to attend within the school district. If the school of origin is outside district boundaries or homeless students live in another district but will attend their school of origin in this district, the districts shall agree upon a method to apportion the responsibility and costs of transportation.

    Related School Board Policy

    Policy 206 – Immunizations and Communicable Diseases