The search for the next superintendent of Conestoga Valley is underway! We are utilizing the services of Mr. Tom Templeton, Founder and Creative Director of TEMPLETON Advantage, LLC to guide the district through this critically important process. We have selected Mr. Templeton because of his reputation and experience conducting executive searches over the last 20 years, as well as his extensive industry contacts throughout Pennsylvania and beyond.We will be using this section of the website to keep the school community informed as the search progresses.During the first couple weeks of December, we will be conducting a survey of the school community, and Mr. Templeton will be facilitating Focus Group discussions with various stakeholders in the district.Please be looking for more information in the coming days. Thank you in advance for your involvement in this process.The Conestoga Valley Board of School Directors
The Conestoga Valley School District (Lancaster County) -- a system with an exceptional leadership team, highly talented staff of both experienced and young educators with rich, varied backgrounds, and a supportive community family (4,100 students, $89.8 million budget, six schools) -- is looking for its next superintendent to lead the district. Located in the heart of Lancaster County, Conestoga Valley is positioned among the other high performing public schools in Pennsylvania, and enjoys consistent regional recognition for student performance. The district seeks a committed life-long learner who exhibits:
- Proven executive leadership skills to effectively collaborate with a policy-driven board;
- A demonstrated ability to align the strategic and educational efforts of the board, administration, faculty and staff;
- Effective oversight of the continued design of a portfolio of academic and extracurricular programs that focuses on the academic, physical and emotional growth of all students;
- An understanding of school financing, with the proven ability to lead a budgeting process that prioritizes well-designed programs and services for students, while maintaining CV’s stellar credit rating;
- The experience, interpersonal skills and wisdom to address the needs of a diverse student body and promote an environment that thoughtfully embraces equity;
- Consistent, transparent and persuasive communication and engagement skills with district stakeholders;
- A track record of ethical leadership, having the courage of one’s convictions, and displaying integrity through words and deeds;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, defined by seeking to understand others, an assertive confidence, a flexible mindset, and approachability;
- Experience with creating a systemic goal-driven focus at all levels; and holding self and others accountable for defined results;
- The drive to embed oneself into the fabric of the CV community and articulate a strategic vision for the future of CV; and
- An awareness of educational trends and the evolving dynamics of today’s schools/classrooms, along with the visionary instincts to embrace positive change, while honoring precedent and district traditions.
The lead consultant is Tom Templeton, Founder and Creative Director of TEMPLETON Advantage, LLC. Candidates who email their cover letter and resume to Mr. Templeton will receive instructions for submitting an application, clearances and other documentation. Candidates should possess, or be eligible for the Pennsylvania superintendent letter of eligibility. The deadline for candidates to be assured consideration is January 6, 2023. Mr. Templeton can be reached at (717) 636-3238, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
April 6, 2023
Dr. Daniel Hartman has been selected as the next superintendent of CVSD. Click here to read the full announcement.
March 22, 2023
The Board is pleased to inform you it has identified a candidate as our next superintendent, subject to settling the details of the terms and conditions of employment, after which we will be free to share more with staff and the community.
Also, the Board is developing a series of community engagement and entry planning activities to be started shortly after the new superintendent has been appointed.
We realize it has been a long process and everyone has been anxious to see its conclusion. CV is fortunate to have been able to attract so many quality candidates. However, that lengthened every step of the process if we were to do a thorough and deliberative review. This is an important decision and was worth the extra time and to give attention to the input provided from staff, parents and the community.
We look forward to providing more details very soon.
The Conestoga Valley Board of School Directors
March 17, 2023
SUPERINTENDENT SEARCH UPDATE
The Board of School Directors has continued through the search process, and has had the opportunity to interview a series of highly qualified candidates. After a comprehensive discussion on the candidates we interviewed in the first round, we reduced the pool to a smaller group for a second interview. Upon a close examination of those candidates, we invited them to meet with administrators, faculty and support staff. These groups conducted thoughtful and intensive discussions with each of the candidates, and met with the Board to provide their feedback.
The Board took the comments from the three employee groups under thoughtful advisement, and concurrently reviewed the results of the interviews and additional information we gathered on the candidates. During our interviews with the candidates, the Board asked questions related to virtually every aspect of district operations, recognizing that when hiring a superintendent, we are not only looking for an educational leader (critical as that is), but an organizational leader. Therefore, we covered topics from curriculum and academic programming to school finance, culture, community engagement, and others.
The Board’s approach to the interview process was also guided by the information gathered during the focus group discussions and the survey results that were conducted earlier in the search. In fact, it is important to note that survey and focus group results will also guide the future of Conestoga Valley by designing policies, programs and school culture that continues to enhance the quality of education students receive.
One final note: When conducting a superintendent search, one of the primary objectives to finding the best candidate is to create a process that is professional, comfortable for candidates, while authentically reflecting the needs of the school community. We believe we struck that balance well.
After we make a selection and formally appoint the next superintendent of Conestoga Valley, we will be introducing the candidate to the community and beginning the process of officially transitioning to new leadership. While we will remain focused on existing district goals and other critical initiatives, such as the Profile of a Graduate, we will also be looking at additional innovative ways to execute the mission of the district, which is to educate all students to strive for personal excellence, while becoming caring and contributing citizens in a global community.
Thank you once again for everyone’s involvement in this process.
More details coming soon!
The Conestoga Valley Board of School Directors